On 09/08/2012 04:46 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
Andrew Dunstan <and...@dunslane.net> writes:
Scratch that theory, that was just a transient. If anything it looks
like it is related to system load. When almost nothing was running on
the machine it worked fine. When I started up a Browser and an MUA the
problem occurred. This VM has 4 CPUs and 4Gb of memory and a load
average around 0.4 right now. I'm a bit perplexed.
Hm ... you weren't using the -l (--max-load) option were you?  That
would make system load affect gmake's scheduling.  Although it's clear
when I test it that it is waiting for the bison run to finish before
launching the dependent builds, so it still seems like it must be a bug
if your copy isn't waiting for that.

No. just "make -j 4"

And it's the stock Fedora build of make.

cheers

andrew