Alvaro Herrera <alvhe...@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
> One thing I would like more input in, is whether people think it's
> worthwhile to split dlists and slists into separate files.  Thus far
> this has been mentioned by three people independently.

They're small enough and similar enough that one header and one .c file
seem like plenty; but I don't really have a strong opinion about it.

> Another question is whether ilist_container() should actually be a more
> general macro "containerof" defined in c.h.  (ISTM it would be necessary
> to have this macro if we want to split into two files; that way we don't
> need to have two macros dlist_container and slist_container with
> identical definition, or alternatively a third file that defines just
> ilist_container)

I'd vote for not having that at all, but rather two separate macros
dlist_container and slist_container.  If we had a bunch of operations
that could work interchangeably on dlists and slists, it might be worth
having a concept of "ilist" --- but if we only have this, it would be
better to remove the concept from the API altogether.

> Third question is about the INLINE_IF_POSSIBLE business as commented by
> Peter.  It seems to me that the simple technique used here to avoid
> having two copies of the source could be used by memcxt.c, list.c,
> sortsupport.c as well (maybe clean up fastgetattr too).

Yeah, looks reasonable ... material for a different patch of course.
But that would mean INLINE_IF_POSSIBLE should be defined someplace else,
perhaps c.h.  Also, I'm not that thrilled with having the header file
define ILIST_USE_DEFINITION.  I suggest that it might be better to do

#if defined(USE_INLINE) || defined(DEFINE_ILIST_FUNCTIONS)
... function decls here ...
#else
... extern decls here ...
#endif

where ilist.c defines DEFINE_ILIST_FUNCTIONS before including the
header.