On 13.10.2012 19:35, Fujii Masao wrote:
On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 11:52 PM, Heikki Linnakangas
<hlinnakan...@vmware.com>  wrote:
Ok, thanks. Committed.

I found one typo. The attached patch fixes that typo.

Thanks, fixed.

ISTM you need to update the protocol.sgml because you added
the field 'replyRequested' to WalSndrMessage and StandbyReplyMessage.

Oh, I didn't remember that we've documented the specific structs that we pass around. It's quite bogus anyway to explain the messages the way we do currently, as they are actually dependent on the underlying architecture's endianess and padding. I think we should refactor the protocol to not transmit raw structs, but use pq_sentint and friends to construct the messages. This was discussed earlier (see http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/4fe2279c.2070...@enterprisedb.com), I think there's consensus that 9.3 would be a good time to do that as we changed the XLogRecPtr format anyway.

I'll look into doing that..

Is it worth adding the same mechanism (send back the reply immediately
if walsender request a reply) into pg_basebackup and pg_receivexlog?

Good catch. Yes, they should be taught about this too. I'll look into doing that too.

- Heikki