Curt Sampson wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Aug 2002, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > I would like to know how to move this item forward.
>
> Right now (i.e., in 7.2), the only two options we have for moving the
> log file to a different spindle are mounting it on pg_xlog and using a
> symlink. I doubt many people do the the former, and if they do they do
> not need an option to init_db to move the logfile away from its default
> location.
>
> So I propose we just continue to use the symlink method for the moment,
> until we agree on another way to store the log file location within the
> data directory, and at that time we implement the code to do that.
>
> Note that if we don't move forward at all, we're still left in the symlink
> situation, with the exception that you init_db, move the log directory and
> create the symlink by hand, and then start up the database. So this partial
> move forward makes no difference to the symlink argument.

Part of the reason we can't "just continue to use the symlink method" is
that the PGXLOG environment variable situation is currently in CVS
beyond initdb and in postmaster, postgres, and pg_ctl, so we do have to
do something before 7.3 or we will have new environment variable
handling in all those commands, and I don't think we have agreement on
that.