Bruce Momjian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> I hadn't looked at flags yet.  Thomas's concern, and I think a valid
> one, is that if we move it from contrib into the main tree, people may
> accidentally run pg_resetxlog without understanding the issues involved.

There's already an interlock to prevent you from running it against a
live installation (it won't run if it sees a postmaster lock file).
That should also prevent an accidental run against a crashed installation
(presumably a lockfile will still be there).  And if you run it against
a cleanly-shut-down installation, it's harmless because you don't need
the old xlog.

I don't think we need to be so paranoid as to insist that you say
        pg_resetxlog --yes-i-read-the-manual
before it will do anything.

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster