On 11/19/2012 09:07 AM, Dimitri Fontaine wrote:
Dimitri Fontaine <dimi...@2ndquadrant.fr> writes:
     pg_dump | pg_restore
     pg_export | psql
While I agree that this idea - when implemented - would be nicer in
practically every way, I'm not sure I want to volunteer to do all the
necessary work.
What I think needs to happen now is a commiter's buy in that we want to
get there at some point and that your current patch is not painting us
into any corner now. So that we can accept it and have a documented path
forward.
Just stumbled accross this message while reading some older threads
about the current topic:

   http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2010-12/msg02496.php

Where Robert Treat said:
I've both enjoyed reading this thread and seeing this wheel reinvented
yet again, and wholeheartedly +1 the idea of building this directly
into pg_dump. (The only thing better would be to make everything thing
sql callable, but that's a problem for another day).
I know Andrew has been working on his "Retail DDL" project which is
basically a bunch of server-side functions that spits out SQL object
definitions. Andrew, were you able to make progress on that project?

On the other hand, pg_dump -Fs still is something I would like to have
as a complement to Andrew's facility.

No, sorry, it's on hold - I'm finding trouble finding time to work on it.

cheers

andrew