Philip Warner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Obviously this is not a 7.3 item, but would people support such
> functionality going into a future version?

Actually, I wouldn't.  I can think of very few situations where
such caching is useful, and I don't believe that the mechanism required
would pay for itself.  In the cases where a cache does make sense,
it's sufficiently application-specific that a generic "cache on a key
consisting of the function arguments" isn't the right thing anyway;
you'll find you want some internal logic to decide what to cache and
what key to use to retrieve it.  Furthermore, a generic cache will have
no clue whatever about cache-invalidating events, thus further
restricting its usefulness.  (Your suggestion of "flush at transaction
end" is too short-term for most applications, too long-term for some,
and just right for hardly any.)

Build the cache internally to your function if you need it.