On 11/29/2012 06:23 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
Andrew Dunstan <and...@dunslane.net> writes:
... Or maybe the
postmaster needs to check the length somehow before it calls
StreamServerPort() so we can give a saner error message.
Hm.  That's ugly, but a lot less invasive than trying to get the
official API to pass the information through.  Sounds like a plan to me.

However, that's only addressing the reporting end of it; I think we
also need to change the pg_upgrade test script as suggested by Noah.

The test script doesn't do anything. It's pg_upgrade itself that sets the socket dir. See option.c:get_sock_dir()

cheers

andrew