Tom Lane writes:

> Peter Eisentraut <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > I'm concerned that we leave essentially no migration path, that is, the
> > ability to turn the feature on to try it out without immediately breaking
> > every application.
>
> Uh ... what?  I fail to understand your objection.  AFAICS the only
> apps that could be "broken" are scripts that have usernames hardwired
> into them ...

I'm completely lost between all the proposals about where the @ is going
to be specified, added, or removed.  What happens on the client side and
what happens on the server side?

All I would like to see is that I can turn on this feature and nothing
changes as long as I don't add any "local users".  Yes, that includes
hard-wired user names on the client side.  Of course there are various
degrees of hard-wiring, but what if the ISP admin updates to 7.3 and wants
to turn on the feature for new clients?  Does he tell all his existing
clients that they must update their user names?  Possibly, these users got
their database access with a shell account and don't specify the user name
at all because it defaults to the OS user name.  Does that continue to
work?

--
Peter Eisentraut   [EMAIL PROTECTED]