On 12/05/2012 01:49 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
*) xmlpath/jsonpath do searching (and decomposition) but are very
clunky from sql perspective and probably absolutely nogo in terms if
GIST/GIN.  postgres spiritually wants to do things via operators and
we should (if possible) at least consider that first
Why is it a nogo for GiST?  Ltree works, doesn't it?  If we only support
equality lookups in what way is a JSON doc different from a collection
of ltree rows?

We'd probably want to use SP-GiST for better index size/performance, but
I don't see that this is impossible.  Just some difficult code.

The set of paths for a single json datum can be huge, as opposed to one for a single ltree datum. That strikes me as a serious barrier. In any case, nobody I know of is even offering to do this - when they do we can look at the design. Until then I'm assuming nothing.

cheers

andrew