On 9 December 2012 16:53, Tom Lane <t...@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Thom Brown <t...@linux.com> writes:
>> One observation:  There doesn't appear to be any tab-completion for view
>> names after DML statement keywords in psql.  Might we want to add this?
>
> Well, there is, but it only knows about INSTEAD OF trigger cases.
> I'm tempted to suggest that Query_for_list_of_insertables and friends
> be simplified to just include all views.

Yeah, that's probably OK for tab-completion.

It's a shame though that pg_view_is_updatable() and
pg_view_is_insertable() are not really useful for identifying
potentially updatable views (e.g., consider an auto-updatable view on
top of a trigger-updatable view). I'm left wondering if I
misinterpreted the SQL standard's intentions when separating out the
concepts of "updatable" and "trigger updatable". It seems like it
would have been more useful to have "trigger updatable" imply
"updatable".

Regards,
Dean