On 23 December 2012 18:49, Simon Riggs <si...@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

> Anyway, hope you can make call on 28th so we can discuss this and
> agree a way forwards you're happy with.

Stephen, KaiGai and myself met by phone on 28th to discuss.

1. The actual default is not that important to any of us. We could go
either way, or have no default at all.

2. What we do want is a declarative way of specifying row security,
with options to support all use cases discussed/requested on list. We
shouldn't
support just one of those use cases and force everybody else to use
triggers manually for the other cases.

3. We want to have the possibility of multiple row security
expressions, defined for different privilege types (SELECT, UPDATE,
INSERT, DELETE). (Note that this means you'd be able to specify that
an update could read a row in one security mode by setting SELECT,
then update that row to a new security mode by setting a clause on
UPDATE - hence we refer to those as privileges not commands/events).
The expressions should be separate so they can be  pushed easily into
query plans (exactly as in the current patch).

Stephen has updated the Wiki with some ideas on how that can be structured
https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/RLS

4. Supporting multiple expressions may not be possible for 9.3, but if
not, we want to agree now what the syntax is to make sure we have a
clear route for future development. If we can agree this quickly we
increase the chances of KaiGai successfully implementing that.