On 01/08/2013 09:58 AM, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

If you have such a datum, parsing it involves having it in memory and then taking a copy (I wonder if we could avoid that step - will take a look).

Here is a Proof Of Concept patch against my development tip on what's involved in getting the JSON lexer not to need a nul-terminated string to parse. This passes regression, incidentally. The downside is that processing is very slightly more complex, and that json_in() would need to call strlen() on its input. The upside would be that the processing routines I've been working on would no longer need to create copies of their json arguments using text_to_cstring() just so they can get a null-terminated string to process.

Consequent changes would modify the signature of makeJsonLexContext() so it's first argument would be a text* instead of a char* (and of course its logic would change accordingly).

I could go either way. Thoughts?

cheers

andrew