I wrote:
> The control flow in spgdoinsert.c is flat enough that the stack trace
> alone isn't much help in understanding the bug, I'm afraid.

BTW, something that possibly *would* help, since you seem to be able to
reproduce the bug easily, is to do that and then capture the values of
the local variables in spgdoinsert() -- especially the contents of the
"current" and "parent" structs --- from each of the processes that are
stuck.  Also interesting would be to print the SpGistCache structs.
It'd go something like
        frame 4
        info locals
        p *(SpGistCache *) index->rd_amcache