On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 1:32 PM, Bruce Momjian <br...@momjian.us> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 01:28:18PM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> >

> > On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 1:22 PM, Josh Berkus <j...@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> >
> >     Claudio, Stephen,
> >
> >     It really seems like the areas where we could get the most "bang for
> the
> >     buck" in parallelism would be:
> >
> >     1. Parallel sort
> >     2. Parallel aggregation (for commutative aggregates)
> >     3. Parallel nested loop join (especially for expression joins, like
> GIS)
> >
> > parallel data load? :/
>
> We have that in pg_restore, and I thinnk we are getting parallel dump in
> 9.3, right?  Unfortunately, I don't see it in the last 9.3 commit-fest.
> Is it still being worked on?

Not exactly, I meant something like being able to use parallel processing
when doing INSERT or COPY directly in core. If there is a parallel
processing infrastructure, it could also be used for such write operations.
I agree that the cases mentioned by Josh are far more appealing though...
--
Michael Paquier
http://michael.otacoo.com