On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 3:03 PM, Dave Page <dp...@pgadmin.org> wrote:

>>> Full vs. para-virtualisation perhaps?
>>>

>> No, Windows builds just are slower. For some time the buildfarm has been
>> reporting run times for various members, so there's plenty of data on this.
>> For example, nightjar and currawong are respectively FreeBSD/gcc and
>> WindowsXP/VC2008 members running in VMs on the same host. currawong takes
>> three times as long for a buildfarm run even though it's doing less work.
>
> Hmm, OK. I don't build PostgreSQL interactively enough to notice I
> guess. For C++ it's definitely the other way round - I can build
> pgAdmin in a fraction of the time in a Windows VM than I can on the
> host Mac it runs on.

Yes, for C++ it's a difference in at least one order of magnitude.

For C it definitely isn't. MSVC tends to be faster than gcc (both on
windows), which I think is mostly because it builds multiple files in
one run. However, actually starting each build step takes
significantly longer. We've also added some things like the DEF file
magic that can definitely take quite some time, particularly when
building the backend.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/