On the contrary, only a few months ago there was a far from groundless fear
that Microsoft would do just that. Following considerable outcry they changed
their mind. But this is definitely not just paranoia. As for w64 support, the
mingw-64 project exists more or less explicitly to produce 64 bit compilers,
including those hosted on mingw/msys.

Huh. The only reason we have to use mingw64 or one of the assorted personal builds is because 'mingw support' doesn't deliver on its own, and last I looked there was a confusing variety of personal builds with various strengths and weaknesses. I managed to make some progress but we seem to be a ways off having a reference download (and ideally one with clang too I guess).

I'd very much like there to be a good reference implementation, but the whole mingw/mingw64 thing is indicative of some problems, and reminds me of egcs.

You have references to back up your statements, and demonstrate that it wasn't primarily FUD? FWIW I think the higher entry prices of pay-for VStudio almost guarantees continued availability of a free compiler, though it might end up slightly crippled, but I'm not a product planner for MS any more than you are.