On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 8:44 PM, Andres Freund <and...@anarazel.de> wrote:

> > Another argument that would be enough for a rejection of this patch by a
> > committer is the problem of invalid toast indexes that cannot be removed
> up
> > cleanly by an operator. As long as there is not a clean solution for
> > that...
>
> I think that part is relatively easy to fix, I wouldn't worry too
> much.
> The more complex part is how to get tuptoaster.c to update the
> concurrently created index. That's what I worry about. Its not going
> through the normal executor paths but manually updates the toast
> index - which means it won't update the indisready && !indisvalid

I included in the patch some stuff to update the reltoastidxid of the
parent relation of the toast index. Have a look at
index.c:index_concurrent_swap. The particular case I had in mind was if
there is a failure of the server during the concurrent reindex of a toast
index. When server restarts, the toast relation will have an invalid index
and this cannot be dropped by an operator via SQL.
--
Michael Paquier
http://michael.otacoo.com