merlin,

I appreciate your perspective and wish that JDBC didn't present this problem. Still, with the rapidly growing adoption of both Postgres and JVM-based languages (thanks Heroku!) - plus the special power of hstore - I think it would be a shame if such a small accommodation could not be made.

Other hackers,

What is your take?

Best,
Seamus

PS. Switching to the EXIST() or DEFINED() functions is not, in my opinion, a solution because they can't use hstore's GiST or GIN indexes.