On 02/08/2013 02:37 AM, Pavan Deolasee wrote:

I wonder if this is all expected. The database is getting ZERO
activity. There are no connections open at this time. The checkpoints
are happening at every 30 seconds and new WAL files are being created,
AFAIK because the old ones are getting archived. Can't we be smart
about not archiving new files if we did not generate any new WAL since
the last archive ?

It is because you have it set up so that the longest time you can go without checkpoints is 30 seconds. So no matter what, if you have 1000 checkpoint segments you are still going to checkpoint ever 30 seconds.

JD

High Availability, Oracle Conversion, Postgres-XC
@cmdpromptinc - 509-416-6579