On 13.02.2013 11:01, Atri Sharma wrote:
Hi all,

Just a curiosity I couldnt control. I was recently reading about
Fractal tree indexing
(http://www.tokutek.com/2012/12/fractal-tree-indexing-overview/) and
how TokuDB engine for MySQL is really working nicely with big data.

Hmm, sounds very similar to the GiST buffering build work Alexander Korotkov did for 9.2. Only the buffers are for B-trees rather than GiST, and the buffers are permanent, rather than used only during index build. It's also somewhat similar to the fast insert mechanism in GIN, except that the gin fast insert buffer is just a single buffer, rather than a buffer at each node.

I was wondering, do we have support for fractal tree indexing? I mean,
it really does seem to help manage big data, so we could think of
supporting it in some form for our large data set clients( if it is
not happening already someplace which I have missed).

There are no fractal trees in PostgreSQL today. Patches are welcome ;-).

- Heikki