Andres Freund <and...@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
> On 2013-02-21 14:11:10 -0800, Kevin Grittner wrote:
>> DISABLE MATERIALIZED VIEW mv;  -- ALTER clause for constraints
>> DISCARD MATERIALIZED VIEW DATA mv;  -- session state
>> RELEASE MATERIALIZED VIEW DATA mv;  -- savepoint
>> RESET MATERIALIZED VIEW DATA mv;  -- run-time parameter
>>
>> I think any of these could work.  I'm personally most inclined
>> toward DISABLE MATERIALIZED VIEW.  It seems to convey the semantics
>> better, especially if you leave out DATA as an additonal word.

> I vote for RESET or DISCARD. DISABLE sounds more like you disable
> automatic refreshes or somesuch.

Yeah, I don't much like DISABLE either.  I'm also concerned about
overloading RESET this way --- that statement has complicated-enough
syntax already, not to mention way too many shades of meaning.  So that
leaves me voting for DISCARD M.V. DATA, which seems pretty precise.
It's a bit verbose, but since when has SQL been succinct?