On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 12:08:09PM -0400, Steve Singer wrote:
> If you try running pg_upgrade with the PGSERVICE environment
> variable set to some invalid/non-existent service pg_upgrade
> segfaults

> 0x000000000040bdd1 in check_pghost_envvar () at server.c:304
> 304           for (option = start; option->keyword != NULL; option++)
> (gdb) p start
> $5 = (PQconninfoOption *) 0x0
>

> PQconndefaults can return NULL if it has issues.
>
> The attached patch prints a minimally useful error message. I don't
> a good way of getting a more useful error message out of
> PQconndefaults()
>
> I checked this against master but it was reported to me as a issue in 9.2

Well, that's interesting.  There is no mention of PQconndefaults()
returning NULL except for out of memory:

       Returns a connection options array.  This can be used to determine
       all possible <function>PQconnectdb</function> options and their
       current default values.  The return value points to an array of
       <structname>PQconninfoOption</structname> structures, which ends
       with an entry having a null <structfield>keyword</> pointer.  The
-->    null pointer is returned if memory could not be allocated. Note that
       the current default values (<structfield>val</structfield> fields)
       will depend on environment variables and other context.  Callers
       must treat the connection options data as read-only.

Looking at libpq/fe-connect.c::PQconndefaults(), it calls
conninfo_add_defaults(), which has this:

    /*
     * If there's a service spec, use it to obtain any not-explicitly-given
     * parameters.
     */
    if (parseServiceInfo(options, errorMessage) != 0)
        return false;

so it is clearly possible for PQconndefaults() to return NULL for
service file failures.  The questions are:

*  Is this what we want?
*  Should we document this?
*  Should we change this to just throw a warning?

Also, it seems pg_upgrade isn't the only utility that is confused:

        contrib/postgres_fdw/option.c and contrib/dblink/dblink.c think
        PQconndefaults() returning NULL means out of memory and report that
        as the error string.

        bin/scripts/pg_isready.c and contrib/pg_upgrade/server.c have no
        check for NULL return.

        libpq/test/uri-regress.c knows to throw a generic error message.

So, we have some decisions and work to do.

--
  Bruce Momjian  <br...@momjian.us>        http://momjian.us