On 3/21/13 10:39 PM, Amit Kapila wrote:
I think adding new syntax change is little scary for me, not for the matter
of implementation but for building consensus on syntax.
Can we do it as an enhancement later?

Yeah, I think the basics of this could be committed, but have later improvements that let you fine-tune when the reload happens better.

Other ways could be to either give Notice after each command or mention the
same in documentation clearly.
I feel giving Notice after every command doesn't look good, so may be we can
mention the same in documentation.

I think that NOTICE after every command is the only way we'll make sure to catch every user who should be notified about the feature's limitation.

I was thinking of something like this:

NOTICE: New configuration is written but not applied yet. Signal the server to reload settings using pg_reload_conf to activate the change.

Maybe that's a NOTICE plus a HINT.

--
Greg Smith   2ndQuadrant US    g...@2ndquadrant.com   Baltimore, MD