On 22 March 2013 09:12, Merlin Moncure <mmonc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 2:00 AM, Pavel Stehule <pavel.steh...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> lot of postgresql functions calculate with all items in array without
>> respect to dimensions - like unnest.
>>
>> so concept "use outermost dim" is not in pg now, and should not be
>> introduced if it is possible. More it goes against a verbosity concept
>> introduced by ADA and reused in PL/SQL and PL/pgSQL.
>
> and pl/psm*

Yeah, okay.  That argument works for me.  Let's go for option (a),
only allow the user to omit the dimension argument if the array is
1-D.

We still have the issue that Tom isn't convinced that the feature is
worth pursuing -- Tom, would you please elaborate a little on what you
dislike about it?  I don't see much of a downside (just 3 extra
pg_procs).

Cheers,
BJ