On 03/27/2013 03:49 PM, Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
On 03/26/2013 10:18 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
Andrew Dunstan <and...@dunslane.net> writes:
There is some timeout code already in the buildfarm client. It was
originally put there to help us when we got CVS hangs, a not infrequent
occurrence in the early days, so it's currently only used if configured
for the checkout phase, but it could easily be used to create a build
timeout which would kill the whole process group if the timeout expired.
It wouldn't work on Windows, and of course it won't solve whatever
problem caused the hang in the first place, but it still might be worth
doing.
+1 --- at least then we'd get reports of failures, rather than the
current behavior where the animal just stops reporting.
yeah I have had multiple buildfarm members running into similiar issues
(like the still-unexplained issues on spoonbill from a year back:
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/4fe4b674.3020...@kaltenbrunner.cc)
so I would really like to see an option for a global timeout.

I have been looking at it briefly. There are a few wrinkles, but it's on the TODO list.

cheers

andrew

Stefan