On 28.03.2013 01:01, Tom Lane wrote:
Simon Riggs<si...@2ndquadrant.com>  writes:
On 27 March 2013 20:40, Heikki Linnakangas<hlinnakan...@vmware.com>  wrote:
While looking at bug #7969, it occurred to me that it would be nice if we
could catch resource leaks in WAL redo routines better. It would be useful
during development, to catch bugs earlier, and it could've turned that
replay-stopping error into a warning.

I'm inclined to think that the overhead isn't worth the trouble. This
is the only bug of its type we had in recent years.

I agree that checking for resource leaks after each WAL record seems
too expensive compared to what we'd get for it.  But perhaps it's worth
making a check every so often, like at restartpoints?

That sounds very seldom. How about making it an assertion to check after every record? I guess I'll have to do some testing to see how expensive it really is.

- Heikki