On 24.04.2013 11:46, Simon Riggs wrote:
On 24 April 2013 09:32, Heikki Linnakangas<hlinnakan...@vmware.com>  wrote:

pg_ctl already checks versions, so I don't see the point.

The point is, if you do "pgsql93/bin/pg_ctl -D $92DATADIR promote", it will
create fast_promote file and return success. But it won't actually promote
the server. I think that's bad.

If pg_ctl already has a check against that, fine, but I don't think it does.
Please make sure you test that before applying.

If it doesn't check, that is not the only thing that would be broken.
The original commit of pg_ctl promote would also be broken.

Yeah, it would've been good if the "pg_ctl promote" patch would've added a version check. Nevertheless, don't you think it would be good to avoid changing the filename of the "promote" file, so that we don't have any more such breakage? I don't see any advantage in changing it.

- Heikki