Hello,
I'm student who want to participate in Google Summer of Code. I want to
implement feature which allows to get old values directly from update
statement. I mean there should be possibility to choose the value
immedietly before or after update in RETURNING statement. The syntax may
be realized as "aliases". That means: OLD keywordswould be alias to row
before update and NEW to row after update. The conclusion of syntax is:
UPDATE foo SET bar=bar+1 RETURNING OLD.bar AS old_bar, NEW.bar AS new_bar;
UPDATE foo SET ... RETURNING NEW.* will be equivalent to UPDATE foo SET
... RETURNING foo.*
It may be possible to add similar syntax to DELETE and INSERT statements
but I'm not sure if it makes a sense (OLD for DELETE will be alias to
row before delete, NEW for INSERT will be alias to row after insert and
all triggers - however what about NEW for delete and OLD for INSERT?).
Additionally NEW and OLD values will be reserved keywords (it might be
some capability problem since in new PostgreSQL it isn't reserved -
however standard says it is and in old PgSQL it was).
I'd like to hear (read) yours feedback about syntax and/or implement
issues related to this proposal.
Regards,
Karol Trzcionka