On Wed, 2013-05-01 at 18:27 +0200, Fabien COELHO wrote:
The table of contents too much detailed, so it is long and slow to
scan, and there is no clear shortcut. Flipping pages in the
documentation takes ages (well, close to one second or more if I flip
a few pages). Do not try "search".
EPUB is essentially a zip file with per-section simplified HTML files.
So any device that can render simple web pages should be able to handle
that with ease.  What I think iBooks is doing is it internally
pre-renders all the pages in order to be able to attach page numbers to
all the table of contents entries.  I suspect other readers that don't
do that will be able to handle this better.

That said, I think trimming down the table of contents nesting depth
might be worth checking into for this output format.

I don't think we should be governed by the silly behaviour of one epub reader. My ereader doesn't collapse the contents into one giant list. If ibooks is doing stuff badly, complain to Apple.

cheers

andrew