On 05/05/2013 05:16 PM, Jeff Janes wrote:
On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 4:13 PM, Bruce Momjian <br...@momjian.us <mailto:br...@momjian.us>> wrote:

    On Thu, May  2, 2013 at 03:03:58PM -0700, Jeff Janes wrote:
    > Some suggestions, perhaps just based on my preference for verbosity:
    >

    >        <para>
    >         Add cache of local locks (Jeff Janes)
    >        </para>
    >
    >        <para>
    >         This speeds lock release at statement completion in
    transactions
    >         that hold many locks; it is particularly useful for pg_dump.
    >        </para>
    >

    > I think this is equally important for restoration of dumps, if
    the restoration
    > is run all in one transaction.  (Making the dump and restoring
    it have similar
    > locking and unlocking patterns)

    Do you have proposed wording?  I can't say just dump/restore as it
    only
    helps with _logical_ dump and _logical_ restore, and we don't have a
    clear word for logical restore, as it could be pg_restore or piped
    into
    psql.  We could do:

            that hold many locks; it is particularly useful for
    pg_dump and restore.

    but "restore" seems very vague.

Yeah, I wasn't sure about how to work that either.

"...and the restore of such dumps."?

s/restore/restoration/

cheers

andrew