On 05.05.2013 18:51, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

On 05/05/2013 01:35 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
Bruce Momjian <br...@momjian.us> writes:
OK, so we can either use 4 hex digits minimum and have a fixed with on
most platforms, extend it to 8 hex digits, or revert the entire
fixed-width idea.
I think we should lose the idea that it's fixed-width. 16-bit PIDs are
a limitation whose days are obviously numbered.

I'm late to this party - I must have been asleep at the wheel back in
October, but I guess I have an interest as the original author of
log_line_prefix ;-)

I can't off the top of my head see any good reason for zero padding, so
I'm with Tom.

Agreed. What might be useful, is a general padding feature in log_line_prefix, like in sprintf:

log_line_prefix = '%.5p '

- Heikki