On 07.05.2013 15:38, Simon Riggs wrote:
On 3 May 2013 14:40, Heikki Linnakangas<hlinnakan...@vmware.com>  wrote:
If we want to avoid adding a new option for this, how about a magic restore
point called "consistent" or "immediate":

recovery_target_name='immediate'

That would stop recovery right after reaching consistency, but there
wouldn't be an actual restore point record in the WAL stream.

recovery_target_name='something'

...works for me. Either constent or immediate works.

I request that the docs recommend this be used in conjunction with
pause_at_recovery_target = on, so that the user can begin inspecting
the database at the first available point and then roll forward from
that point if desired. That would cover my concern that this stopping
point is arbitrary and not intrinsically worth stopping at of itself.

Sounds good. I've added this to the TODO.

Can I suggest that we discuss a range of related changes together? So
we have a roadmap of agreed changes in this area. That will be more
efficient than discussing each one individually; often each one makes
sense only as part of the wider context.

Sure, do you have something else in mind related to this?

- Heikki