On 05/15/2013 10:05 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
Peter Eisentraut <pete...@gmx.net> writes:
That said, I'm obviously outnumbered here.  What about the following
compromise:  Use the configure-selected install program inside
PostgreSQL (which we can test easily), and use install-sh under
USE_PGXS?  Admittedly, the make install time of extensions is probably
not an issue.
That works for me, since as you say we can easily fix any such bugs
in the core code.  The scary thing about this for extension authors
is that they may very well see no bug in their own testing, only to
have their packages fall over in the wild.  We shouldn't make each
author who's copied that code rediscover the problem for themselves
that expensively.

+1, although I will be renovating the Makefiles for all my extensions along the lines of my previous email.

cheers

andrew