On 2013-05-28 10:07:06 -0400, Stephen Frost wrote:
> * Jaime Casanova (ja...@2ndquadrant.com) wrote:
> > btw, we can also use a next_extend_blocks GUC/reloption as a limit for
> > autovacuum so it will allow that empty pages at the end of the table
>
> I'm really not, at all, excited about adding in GUCs for this.

But I thought you were in favor of doing complex stuff like mapping
segments filled somewhere else into place :P

But I agree. This needs to work without much manual intervention. I
think we just need to make autovacuum truncate only if it finds more
free space than whatever amount we might have added at that relation
size plus some slop.

Greetings,

Andres Freund