On 05/30/2013 12:01 AM, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:

We could make it mandatory to specify the unit in the value. Ie. throw
an error on "wal_sender_timeout = 50":

ERROR: unit required for option "wal_sender_timeout"
HINT:  Valid units for this parameter are "ms", "s", "min", "h", and "d".

Then you wouldn't need a comment to explain what the unit of a naked
value is. The only problem I see with that is backwards-compatibility.
Old postgresql.conf files containing naked values would no longer work.
But all you'd need to do is to add in the units, which would work on
older versions too, and would be good for readability anyway.

I like this idea with one addition. We should have a default unit for each. For wal_sender_timeout seconds makes sense, but for checkpoint_timeout minutes makes sense (for example).

JD

- Heikki