On 6/13/13 9:20 PM, amul sul wrote:
Agree, only if we consider these contrib module is always gonna deployed with
the postgresql.
But, what if user going to install such module elsewhere i.e. not from contrib
directory of pg source.
Why would anyone do that?

Maybe they wouldn't.

I do think we need to make sure that we have at least buildfarm coverage of pgxs module building and testing. I have some coverage of a few extensions I have written, which exercise that, so maybe that will suffice. If not, maybe we need to have one module that only builds via pgxs and is build after an install (i.e. not via the standard contrib build).

I don't really like the directory layout we use for these modules anyway, so I'm not sure they constitute best practice for extension builders. Lately I have been using an extension skeleton that looks something like this:

    License
    Readme.md
    META.json (for pgxn)
    extension.control
    Makefile
    doc/extension.md (soft linked to ../Readme.md)
    src/extension.c
    sql/extension.sql
    test/sql/extension.sql
    test/expected/extension.out