On 06/19/2013 03:52 PM, Dimitri Fontaine wrote:
Peter Eisentraut <pete...@gmx.net> writes:
We could do something like

PG_CONFIG = fake_intree_pg_config
PGXS := $(shell $(PG_CONFIG) --pgxs)
include $(PGXS)
There's something to that idea. Of course we would need to offer a
comment about the PG_CONFIG game and propose something else for real
world extensions (PG_CONFIG ?= pg_config).

where fake_intree_pg_config is a purpose-built shell script that points
to the right places inside the source tree.
If that works, that gets my preference over removing PGXS support in
contrib modules. Setting an example is important, in-tree build is not
a useful example for anyone but contributors to core.

Not true - you're forgetting there is no pgxs for MSVC builds.

If we're going to enable building of contrib modules using pgxs but without an install we will make targets for that, and buildfarm support.

cheers

andrew