On 06/24/2013 07:24 PM, Cédric Villemain wrote:
Le mardi 25 juin 2013 00:18:26, Andrew Dunstan a écrit :
On 06/24/2013 04:02 PM, Cédric Villemain wrote:
WIth extension, we do have to set VPATH explicitely if we want to use
VPATH (note that contribs/extensions must not care that postgresql has
been built with or without VPATH set). My patches try to fix that.
No, this is exactly what I'm objecting to. I want to be able to do:

     invoke_vpath_magic
     standard_make_commands_as_for_non_vpath

Your patches have been designed to overcome your particular issues, but
they don't meet the general case, IMNSHO. This is why I want to have
more discussion about how vpath builds could work for PGXS modules.
The patch does not restrict anything, it is not supposed to lead to
regression.
The assignment of VPATH and srcdir are wrong in the PGXS case, the patch
correct them. You're still free to do "make VPATH=/mypath ..." the VPATH
provided won't be erased by the pgxs.mk logic.

I still think this is premature. I have spent some more time trying to make it work the way I think it should, so far without success. I think we need more discussion about how we'd like VPATH to work for PGXS would. There's no urgency about this - we've lived with the current situation for quite a while.

When I have more time I will work on it some more.

cheers

andrew