Josh Berkus <j...@agliodbs.com> writes:
> So, is this patch currently depending on performance testing, or not?
> Like I said, it'll be a chunk of time to set up what I beleive is a
> realistic performance test, so I don't want to do it if the patch is
> likely to be bounced for other reasons.

AFAICS, the threshold question here is whether the patch helps usefully
for tables with typical numbers of columns (ie, not 800 ;-)), and
doesn't hurt materially in any common scenario.  If it does, I think
we'd take it.  I've not read the patch, so I don't know if there are
minor cosmetic or correctness issues, but at bottom this seems to be a
very straightforward performance tradeoff.