On 07/07/2013 02:55 PM, Markus Wanner wrote:
> If you want to just upload extensions to a database via libpq..

Let's rephrase this in a (hopefully) more constructive way: I get the
impression you are trying to satisfy many different needs. Way more that
you need to scratch your own itch. To the point that I had trouble
figuring out what exactly the goal of your patch is.

My advice would be: Be brave! Dare to put down any request for
"templates" (including mine) and go for the simplest possible
implementation that allows you to create extensions via libpq. (Provided
that really is the itch you want to scratch. I'm still not quite sure I
got that right.)

As it stands, I get the impression the patch is trying to sell me a
feature that it doesn't really provide. If you stripped the template
stuff, including the CREATE TEMPLATE FOR EXTENSION command, but just
sold me this patch as a simple way to create an extension via libpq,
i.e. something closer to CREATE EXTENSION AS .. , I would immediately
buy that. Currently, while allowing an upload, it seems far from simple,
but adds quite a bit of unwanted complexity. If all I want is to upload
code for an extension via libpq, I don't want to deal with nifty
distinctions between templates and extensions.

Just my opinion, though. Maybe I'm still missing something.

Regards

Markus Wanner