> The really, really big ones are useful even for pushing limits, such
> as cr1.8xlarge, with 32 CPUs and 244GiB memory.  Current spot instance
> price (the heavily discounted "can die at any time" one) is $0.343/hr.
> Otherwise, it's 3.500/hr.

Just to keep in mind cpus are similar throttled:

One EC2 Compute Unit provides the equivalent CPU capacity of a 1.0-1.2 GHz 2007
Opteron or 2007 Xeon processor. This is also the equivalent to an early-2006
1.7 GHz Xeon processor referenced in our original documentation.

Who knows what that does to memory bandwidth / context switches  etc.

Jesper