Sorry for the delay in reviewing this.  I must make sure never to
take another vacation during a commitfest -- the backlog upon
return is a killer....

Kevin Grittner <kgri...@ymail.com> wrote:
> Andres Freund <and...@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

>> Otherwise, could you try applying my git tree so we are sure we
>> test the same thing?
>>
>> $ git remote add af
>> git://git.postgresql.org/git/users/andresfreund/postgres.git
>> $ git fetch af
>> $ git checkout -b xlog-decoding af/xlog-decoding-rebasing-cf4
>> $ ./configure ...
>> $ make
>
> Tried that, too, and problem persists.  The log shows the last
> commit on your branch as 022c2da1873de2fbc93ae524819932719ca41bdb.

The good news: the regression tests now work for me, and I'm back
on testing this at a high level.

The bad news:

(1)  The code checked out from that branch does not merge with
master.  Not surprisingly, given the recent commits, xlog.c is a
problem.  Is there another branch I should now be using?  If not,
please let me know when I can test with something that applies on
top of the master branch.

(2)  An initial performance test didn't look very good.  I will be
running a more controlled test to confirm but the logical
replication of a benchmark with a lot of UPDATEs of compressed text
values seemed to suffer with the logical replication turned on.
Any suggestions or comments on that front, before I run the more
controlled benchmarks?

--
Kevin Grittner
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company