On Thursday, July 18, 2013 2:36 AM Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Robert Haas escribió:
>
> > This feature doesn't strike me as a good candidate for regression
> > testing anyway.  Keep in mind that people are intended to be able to
> > run make installcheck against a deployed system without messing it
> up.
>
> This is my opinion as well.

Summarization of all tests in this patch:
1. Set of SIGHUP parameters in config file, use reload and sleep and then
check value of parameters to validate whether they are set.
2. Reset all parameters so that the system returns to previous state, use
reload and sleep
3. Negative scenario tests

As suggested by Robert that having timing based tests are not good candidate
for regression tests, which essentially means that all tests
as part of point 1 & 2 are not good candidates for testing. If tests
corresponding to point 1 && 2 are to be removed, then keeping some negative
tests
also doesn't seem to make much sense.

To cover Alter System functionality and code, we can have Alter System
commands without reload and sleep, but I think it might not be of much use
until we verify the same using Show.

So I will remove the tests from this patch in next updated version if there
is no other useful way to achieve it.

On a side note, I had checked that in regression suite already few tests use
pg_sleep() and one of them in stats.sql is something similar. It also does
wait using pg_sleep() to let prior tests action get completed.
I understand that having already at one place doesn't allow to use it at
other places, but still I think that if some tests using similar mechanism
are running successfully, we can add new one provided they ensure the timing
doesn't cause problem.

With Regards,
Amit Kapila.