On Fri, Aug 2, 2013 at 8:12 PM, Robert Haas <robertmh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> +1, but I'm wondering why we need anything more than just
> json_typeof().  Doesn't that pretty much cover it?

I agree with Merlin that json_is_object() is superfluous, since it can just
be replaced with json_typeof() = 'object'.  Likewise for json_is_array().
But without json_is_scalar(), the choice is one of these two forms:
  json_typeof() NOT IN ('object', 'array')
  json_typeof() IN ('string', 'number', 'boolean', 'null')

And it protects the user against forgetting about, say, the 'null' typeof()
when constructing their check expression.

Regards,
Andrew Tipton