On Aug 23, 2013, at 8:51 PM, Pavel Stehule <pavel.steh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> it is about a personal taste - if you prefer more verbose or less verbose
> languages.
>
> I feeling a PERFORM usage as something special and you example is nice case,
> where I am think so PERFORM is good for verbosity.

I really do not see the point of PERFORM in the current implementation of
PL/pgSQL. If we were to allow SELECT to run when it is not returning a value or
selecting into a variable, it would be unambiguous, since the other two cases
require:

* Using RETURN (or RETURN QUERY)
* The INTO clause

I have come around to the position that I think Tom, Josh, and Merlin have all
put forward, that PERFORM is unnecessary.

Unless Jan chimes in with something the rest of us have missed, it’s starting
to feel like a consensus to me, other than your objections, of course.

Best,

David