On Aug 27, 2013, at 1:36 PM, Pavel Stehule <pavel.steh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I agree with David that we should use some new syntax to specify
> return-results-directly-to-client, assuming we ever get any such
> functionality.  It seems like a pretty bad choice of default behavior,
> which is essentially what you're saying it should be.
>
> this functionality should be disabled in functions. This can be allowed only
> for procedures started by CALL statements. I don't propose it for functions.

That does not make it a bad idea. Let me summarize:

I propose to remove the requirement to use PERFORM to execute queries for which
the result should be discarded. It should instead be implicit that results are
discarded unless you capture them or return them.

You propose to continue requiring PERFORM to execute queries for which the
result should be discarded. This is so that, in the future, SQL statements can
implicitly return to the caller.

That sound about right to you?

I *really* dislike the idea that some SQL execution implicitly returns from a
PL/pgSQL function or procedure. That just seems too magical. I strongly prefer
that the scope of the code executed in a function or procedure be limited to
the scope of the function or procedure itself, and only return data to the
caller if I explicitly tell it to. Much less magical, IMHO.

Best,

David