On Tue, Aug 27, 2013 at 4:51 PM, Sawada Masahiko <sawada.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 25, 2013 at 3:21 PM, Amit Kapila <amit.kapil...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, Aug 24, 2013 at 2:46 PM, Sawada Masahiko <sawada.m...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> I'm sorry that you are confuse.
>>> It means that
>>>
>>> 1) synchronous_standby_names = '*'
>>>
>>> 2) replica 'AAA' is the current sync standby
>>>
>>> 3) replica 'BBB' is the current async standby (potential sync standby)
>>>
>>> 4) replica 'AAA' fail. after that, replica 'BBB' is current sync standby.
>>>
>>> 5) replica 'AAA' comes online
>>>
>>> 6) replica 'AAA' grabs sync status

>>> It is not depend on name of standby server. That is, The standby server,
>>> which was connected to the master server during initial configration
>>> replication, is top priority even if priority of two server are same.
>>
>> What is happening here is that incase of '*' as priority of both are
>> same, system will choose whichever
>> comes in list of registered standby's first (list is maintained in
>> structure WalSndCtl).
>> Each standby is registered with WalSndCtl when a new WALSender is
>> started in function InitWalSenderSlot().
>> As 'AAA' has been registered first it becomes preferred sync standby
>> even if priorities of both are same.
>> When 'AAA' goes down, it marks that Slot entry as free (by setting
>> pid=0 in function WalSndKill),
>> now when 'AAA' comes back again, it gets that free Slot entry and
>> again becomes preferred sync standby.
>>
>> Now if we want to fix as you are suggesting which I don't think is
>> necessary, we might need to change WalSndKill and some other place so
>> that whenever any standby goes down, it changes slots for already
>> registered standby's.
>>> User must remember that which standby server connected to master server at
>>> first.
>>> I think that this behavior confuse user.
>>> so I think that we need to modify this behaviour or if '*' is used, priority
>>> of server is not same (modifying manual is also good).
>>
>> Here user has done the settings (setting synchronous_standby_names =
>> '*'), after which he will not have any control which standby will
>> become sync standby, so ideally he should not complain.
>>
>> It might be case that for some users current behavior is good enough
>> which means that with '*' whichever standby has become sync standby
>> first, it will be the sync standby always if alive.

> I'm thinking that it is not necessary to change WalSndKill.
> For example, we add the value (e.g., sync_standby) which have that
> which wal sender is active SYNC rep.
> And if sync_standby is already set and it is active, server doesn't
> looking for active standby.
> Only if sync_standby is not set and it is inactive, server looking for
> that which server is active SYNC rep.
> If so, we also prevent to find active SYNC rep whenever
> SyncRepReleaseWaiters() is called.
   For '*' case, it will be okay, but when the user has given proper
names, in that case even if there is any active Sync
   Rep, it has to be changed based on priority.

   I think here how to provide a fix, so that behavior gets changed to
what you describe is a second priority work, first
   is to show the value of use-case. Do you really know where people
actually setup using '*' as configuration and if
   yes, are they annoyed with current behavior?

   I have thought about it, but could imagine a scenario where people
will be using '*' in their production
   configurations, may be it will be useful in test labs.

With Regards,
Amit Kapila.