From: "Tom Lane" <t...@sss.pgh.pa.us>
Noah Misch <n...@leadboat.com> writes:
... I think
MauMau's original bind_textdomain_codeset() proposal was on the right track.

It might well be.  My objection was to the proposal for back-patching it
when we have little idea of the possible side-effects.  I would be fine
with handling that as a 9.4-only patch (preferably with the usual review
process).

Still, libc is certainly the source of the vast majority of
potentially-translated messages that we might be passing through to users,
so fixing it would be a step forward.

We are using 9.1/9.2 and 9.2 is probably dominant, so I would be relieved with either of the following choices:

1. Take the approach that doesn't use bind_textdomain_codeset("libc") (i.e. the second version of errno_str.patch) for 9.4 and older releases.

2. Use bind_textdomain_codeset("libc") (i.e. take strerror_codeset.patch) for 9.4, and take the non-bind_textdomain_codeset approach for older releases.

Regards
MauMau