At 2013-08-19 11:47:36 +0000, laurenz.a...@wien.gv.at wrote:

> To repeat: this fixes a bug in LDAP connection parameter lookup

Hi.

I read through the patch, and it looks sensible.

I would have preferred the ldap_simple_bind_s() call in the HAVE_LIBLDAP
branch to not be inside an else {} (the if block above returns if there
is an error anyway), but that's a minor point.

I tested the code as follows:

1. Built the patched source --with-ldap
2. Set up ~/.pg_service.conf:

    [foo]

ldap://localhost:3343/cn=dbserver,cn=hosts?pgconnectinfo?base?(objectclass=*)

ldap://localhost:3443/cn=dbserver,cn=hosts?pgconnectinfo?base?(objectclass=*)

3. iptables -A INPUT -p tcp -d 127.0.0.1 --dport 3343 -j DROP
4. netcat -l 127.0.0.1 3343 ; netcat -l 127.0.0.1 3443
5. PGSERVICE=foo bin/psql

psql did connect to localhost:3443 after a few seconds of trying to
connect to :3343 and failing. (I tried without the iptables rule, so
I know that it does try to connect to both.)

This doesn't seem to handle timeouts in the sense of a server that
doesn't respond after you connect (or perhaps the timeout was long
enough that it outlasted my patience), but that's not the fault of
this patch, anyway.

I can't say anything about the patch on Windows, but since Magnus seemed
to think it was OK, I'm marking this ready for committer.

-- Abhijit